View Single Post
Old 11-21-13, 11:41 PM   #32
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballlooking View Post
I found the manual online and it has a 180 min timer that should do it for most things.
We cook spaghetti almost once a week so it will get boiling water work out
Should do quite nicely for that.

Some of the hype can lead people to think that water will boil in just a very few minutes. That is true if you have a very small amount of water. What is true is that with a regular resistance electric, you have the ramp-up time for the element to get hot, and then the ramp-up time for the cookware to get hot. With induction, the ramp-up time of the element is eliminated, but the ramp-up time of the bottom of the cookware is still a factor. So the time to get water to boil is shorter, but it is still a matter of physics to make a goodly-size pot of water boil.

One thing that isn't in the hype is that when you reduced power, you reduce heat immediately, or very close to it. This might not matter to your style of cooking, but there are styles of cooking (French sauces, for instance) where it is very important.

And it seems that the big-buck units have precisely calibrated temperature settings. Your unit may not be as precise, but it will be consistent from one time to the next... there'll be some learning to do.

I tell you, I was kind of hesitant going from a film camera to a digital camera, but it was after I got the digital camera, and had owned it for a while that I realized that I hadn't shot a roll of film in over a year. Same story with induction. It isn't perfect, and it doesn't do everything better, but I rarely use my gas stove anymore, it just about all induction for me now.

-AC