View Single Post
Old 04-22-13, 08:52 PM   #20
ELGo
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
Are you saying that you have an immersion type resistive-heated thermos style vacuum insulated pressure cooker? I really want to know more about that.
-AC
Ah, so much more low tech

I don't have it yet, but the grand plan is to buy a 48 oz Nissan Thermos and an immersion heater. In the AM I'll heat up the liquid *in* the thermos, and use it throughout the day. I'm not really in any rush at the moment because summer is fast approaching and our hot water for cooking is much less for the next 5 months. Definitely on my to do list for next winter.

I'll probably contrive some sort of doohickey for the heater so that it sits flush with the thermos lip so that I do not scorch the side of the thermos,do not have to hold the thing, and have less heat loss while heating. I'm thinking glass, so that I can see when the water comes to a boil. I'll measure how long it takes to boil the 48 oz and set a timer so that I am called back to turn it off.

--
Re: your test protocol,
As was posted before me and you realized since you measured how much time the water continued to boil after the power was turned off, some of your resistive heat went to heating up the plate. I wonder if you could have turned off the resistive element say at 12" and then let the water come to a boil from the latent heat in the plate.

I completely agree with you -- go induction for the heat control and timer, not for efficiency. Not that efficiency is bad, just not superior enough to other methods to justify on that basis alone.
ELGo is offline   Reply With Quote