View Single Post
Old 04-22-13, 08:07 PM   #19
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

All good points. I did have similar thoughts about immersion heating as I was doing the testing.

In fact, one of the best parts about induction cooking is the addition of microprocessor capabilities, giving you a timer and accurately variable heat... both features could be incorporated into a resistive devices.

But a couple of questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELGo View Post
2/1.5 - 1.33, meaning the resistive element is using about 33% more juice to heat your water. The reported efficiencies are 72 and 84% for resistive and induction respectively, or 84/72 = 1.16.
I didn't use a lab, I used an actual kitchen with actual an actual pot.

Quote:
I'm not sure why your shoot-out came out so much more efficient for the induction device, but container coverage of the heating element and a flat contact surface affect heat transfer.
The pot I used was a very good fit to the resistance hob and the induction hob(s).

Flat contact surface? I suppose I could have lapped the bottom of the pot to better fit the resistance hob, but is that how people actually cook?

Quote:
Ignoring the container, the water took up 88 * 900 * 4.2 = 332640 Joules = 0.0924 kwh. This works out to 66% efficiency for the better induction device, and 46% for the resistive device.
I like this so much that I hope you'll forgive me for editing it into my previous post.

Quote:
if hot water is really what you want, an immersion heater in a container with low heat capacity has advantages.
It's actually soups and stews I'm looking for, and the ability to quickly and precisely change temperature... and now that I'm used to it, a timer.

Quote:
It will also let me use the pressure cooker for longer into the summer season since very little heat will escape inside the home (cooling down phase outside.)
Are you saying that you have an immersion type resistive-heated thermos style vacuum insulated pressure cooker? I really want to know more about that.

Thanks for your comments.

Best,

-AC