View Single Post
Old 04-22-13, 07:11 PM   #18
ELGo
Helper EcoRenovator

2/1.5 - 1.33, meaning the resistive element is using about 33% more juice to heat your water. The reported efficiencies are 72 and 84% for resistive and induction respectively, or 84/72 = 1.16.

I'm not sure why your shoot-out came out so much more efficient for the induction device, but container coverage of the heating element and a flat contact surface affect heat transfer.

Ignoring the container, the water took up 88 * 900 * 4.2 = 332640 Joules = 0.0924 kwh. This works out to 66% efficiency for the better induction device, and 46% for the resistive device.

Conclusions: if hot water is really what you want, an immersion heater in a container with low heat capacity has advantages. That actually is true for my home where we drink a lot of hot fluids and cook in the pressure cooker. My choice will be to buy a good thermos that I heat 1.5 liters of water in to boiling every AM and use through the day. I figure that should keep my electric consumption for hot water to something under 200 Wh a day. It will also let me use the pressure cooker for longer into the summer season since very little heat will escape inside the home (cooling down phase outside.)
ELGo is offline   Reply With Quote