View Single Post
Old 08-27-22, 09:10 PM   #14
nibs
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Have discussed this with a semi retired lineman, and a lineman who runs a company that has built miles of high voltage cross country transmission lines, here is my understanding.
It will only be available through your local utility.
Since it is being manufactured by Siemens, it will meet all local code requirements.
The utility will only allow it where there is sufficient capacity on both grid, and incoming power lines to the house.
The Utility will be able to set the maximum output of the collar.
It will not interfere with the house power, usually there is 100 amps available at 240 volts over and above any needs of the house. That is 24 KW and much more than most current batteries can accept.

I suspect that it will allow the utility to set charge times to control local grid levels.
I also suspect that the utility may include the ability to tap the vehicle battery for grid reserve, usually set up so that the battery never is below 80% full.

The biggest downside that I can see is that there may be a long wire run to the cars parking place, but it would be relatively simple to bury the charging wires rather than have them on the surface.
North America is ideally suited to the collar because we have very few 240 Volt circuits that are not hard wired to the appliance that needs it.
Most of our wall outlets are maximum 1.5KW any additional loads on our service panels may require a larger main breaker and some rather expensive rewiring.
This collar is being brought online at a critical time and is truly a game changer.
nibs is offline   Reply With Quote