View Single Post
Old 09-29-13, 08:27 PM   #3
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

Just to clarify some of AC comments, any of the the so called "1/2 inch" PEX tubes can use each others fittings as they all meet the CSA/UL standard. REHAU (my favorite) and Wirsbo (Uponor) are made the same way and have the same sizes (SDR9). Crimp fittings work on both as do as will compression fittings.

A word about O2 barriers. They are not all created equal. The REHAU barrier allows less O2 through the wall than the Uponor. Uponor used to have a tube called PE-PEX with 3 layers of O2 barrier but to compete with REHAU and Heat-link (back in the day), they dropped the layers to 2 (HE-PEX) which has slightly less protection.

No tube is impervious to O2, not even the Pex-al-pex. When the tube is bent, the AL can separate on the bend. It is a small opening but O2 can enter.

I have 15 - 20 year old boiler systems with this tube and there is often sludge in the tubing. This is true of any PEX tube, and it is only a matter of time before some sludge or corrosion is evident. It may take years. In extreme cases, the sludge due to filling and draining and filling again can clog up a pump, bronze or iron body.

My advise is to always use an O2 barrier tubing for any closed loop system. Penny wise and pound foolish.
Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mikesolar For This Useful Post:
skyking (11-07-13)