View Single Post
Old 12-29-15, 08:19 PM   #9
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordguy64 View Post
ok another update. ive manage to get all of the fans working. 2 run on 120v and the other one runs on 24vdc.

but i have a question that i came up with when i was looking for fans. (didnt find any good cheap ones) i have an old 10seer 2.5 ton condenser that i had thought about running one of the 1 ton units with it but with out a condenser fan? basically the idea was to just have the large surface area to dispers the hot or cold?

stupid idea? just trying to thing outside the box..
It will work if there is enough surface area and natural convection. It will work even better if the fan was slowly moving. To experiment with the airflow, grab a 3 dollar light dimmer from your favorite home improvement store and wire it to the fan like it is a light to be dimmed. If you wanted to be savvy, a thermostat could be rigged in the same spot to do the deed.

This approach would only work in cooling mode. Your sweet spot would exist below a certain condenser temp where fan power to cool the condenser is less than the added load on the compressor. Sort of the opposite of a "low ambient" control for walk-in coolers.

In heating mode, below a certain temperature you want to run the fan all the time. If the outdoor hx is large, you may get down in the 30's before the thing starts making frost. A TXV really helps in these conditions.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeff5may For This Useful Post:
Fordguy64 (01-03-16), stevehull (12-30-15)