View Single Post
Old 12-06-12, 02:40 PM   #8
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

After a year of having too many more important things to do, here is an update.
- I gave up fiddling with analog and switched to digital (DS18B20) temperature sensors.
- I'm still experimenting with the humidity sensors.
- I got a shift register to be able to control it with buttons, but so far I'm still changing parameters via USB.
- The LCD has been acting up lately, at present only the top row is displayed.
- I got a relay and found out that it requires more current than should go through the Arduino, so I got another relay, this time a solid state one.
- A month ago I finally got some time to write some simple code to keep the room temperature within 0.5°C of 17°C. In short, it checks the temp every 5 seconds and if it is below 17°-0.5°C (resp. above 17°+0.5°C) for 4 consecutive readings it (resp. de-)activates the relay.
- It is hooked up in parallel with the normal room thermostat, with the latter set to a slightly lower temperature. The room t-stat is supposed to be a backup in case the Arduino t-stat fails, but also keeps a lower temp when I need it (I disconnect the Arduino t-stat then).
- I have a clock function working well, but I still haven't implemented any programmable temperature changes. Any hints on how to do it?