Thread: LED Longevity
View Single Post
Old 07-12-10, 03:18 PM   #5
Brian Abington
Lurking Renovator

The led bulbs are still very new, the main complaint I have heard is they tend to beam meaning they are more like a spot light rather than a flood light. I'm sure they have some with a lens that will help with that problem.

At my old warehouse job they switched all the fork lifts to LEDs and these trucks are being used 24hrs a day 6 days a week. Doing this saved the company a ton of money because they were replacing the incandesents all the time, not only from them burning out but the impact of going over the dock plates in to the trailers kept breaking fillaments. There are on occasion some lights that fail due to a problem with the circuit board. Thats the main thing that is keeping people from making the switch to direct replacement parts.

I would contact the companys who you are considering purchasing from and ask them if since they say that the bulbs should last 20+ years do they have a warranty on the circuit boards.

If your higher ups won't go for the expense talk to them about the benefits of the tech and how it will save alot on energy costs, and discuss a transition plan over the next few years as the tech gets cheaper. Then stick with the cfls for the time being.
Brian Abington is offline   Reply With Quote