View Single Post
Old 05-04-15, 12:12 PM   #16
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEMPHIS91 View Post
...I'm sure this time of year the water table is at maybe 6 feet down. Should I not fill the bore hole? If water is best then filling with sand will only make it worse? I'm sure some dirt will fall in over time though...
We looked at this image previously in the post:

In the lower right corner you will find instructions regarding the desired way to backfill a bore hole that passes through an aquifer. I saw this graphic quite some time ago, and it was from a site that may not exist anymore, but the site was in Canada, and the distances for fill that they describe were specifically suited to that part of Canada where they were operating.

If you scale their advice to your knowledge of your location, you'll be good to go.

The gravel fill principle is to put the larger gravel (pea gravel) at the bottom, up to the level of the top of your aquifer. Then graduate to finer granularities by following with a small (6" or so) layer of finer gravel, then a similar layer of some coarse sand above that, and then finish off with whatever you want... dirt, bentonite, etc.

-AC
jeff5may (11-30-20), MEMPHIS91 (05-04-15)