So the authorized improvements break down into several categories:

1. Heater replacement and controls
1.1 Install programmable thermostat
1.2 Replace primary heating system with 84% AFUE
2. Insulation
2.1 Add R-14 ridged foam at rim joist above grade
2.2 Add R-3.5 insulating blanket on garage door
2.3 Add R-38 fiberglass batts to vaulted ceiling attic
2.4 Add R-40 ridged foam on foundation walls.
2.5 Add R-40 ridged foam around inside perimeter of foundation footing (under vapor barrier)
2.6 Add R-33 blown in insulation above laundry room.
2.7 Add R-30 batts above garage
2.8 Replace back door with R-2.8 door.
2.9 Replace front door with U-0.16 fiberglass door.
3. Air Tightening (and mechanical ventilation)
3.1 Air Seal to reduce air leakage by 500 CFM at 50 Pascals
3.2 Install mechanical ventilation in bathrooms

Based on the point spread it looks like the max reimbursement I can get is $8500. Not too bad, but it takes the expensive heating system options off the table. I can't float paying most of a new $7500 propane fire place out of pocket.

I have a couple questions right off the bat. What do you guys think of items 2.4 & 2.5? Placing R-40 on the foundation walls and along the floor of the crawlspace means that I'll need 8" of pink foam board. That seems crazy to me. I see new construction all over town only using 4" (2" inside, 2" outside).

Also, in item 2.9, what is a U-0.16 fiberglass door? I get the R-2.8 right above it. I guess I need to do some more research into doors.

Do you guys see anything else that looks strange?

On the replacement of my primary heating source, I talked with the program administrator about finding a heater that can meet 84% AFUE and he said that I can install a less efficient one, I just won't get all the points. I have to contact my rater and have him run the numbers for the lower efficiency and get me the new points. I can't loose too many or it will drop me out of the $8500 level.

Erich
Erich_870 is offline   Reply With Quote