View Single Post
Old 08-15-14, 11:08 AM   #13
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

I made a prototype sample of the mylar in a multi-layered configuration:

Here is a prototype sample I made. It consists of 10 layers of mylar space blanket material separated by 11 layers of bridal veil (yes, really). I'm fortunate to have a seamstress who lives on my block, who had enough bridal veil material scraps to do this prototype.

Cutting the 10 very thin layers of Mylar into 10" squares and also 11 layers of light, filmy bridal material was not easy, fortunately, I have a rotary cutter. Interlayering the pieces in an orderly fashion was taxing, to say the least. At one point, I sneezed, and the layers all went flying, and I had to start all over again.

Right now the assembly is just stapled at the corners, until I sew up the edges.

Here's a detail of a corner... it's pretty ragged, but the layers are visible.

The bridal veil layers are to prevent the mylar from touching, so that conduction from mylar-to-mylar us at the very minimum. In fact, on the Wikipedia entry for Multi Layer Insulation, they even refer to it as 'bridal veil', but in their photo, it is something more robust.

I haven't done any testing other than making this sample, and handling it. It does have a very curious handling quality, partly because of the mass of muted crinkling sounds, but also because of the unique, delicate tactile sense involved. Very curious. Also it does have a subtle, barely noticeable warmth because it reflects the heat of one's hand. It does seem just a bit like it could have been left behind by an alien spacecraft.

My son, who likes to sew, dropped by yesterday and without me even saying anything, he spotted the glittering prototype sample, and picked it up and was handling and marveling at it, and of course he wanted to know what his father was up to now.

I reminded him that a few Xmases ago he gave me a coupon for "One Hand Made Vest".

He is enthusiastically, "all in".

Best,

-AC_Hacker
Attached Images

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 08-15-14 at 11:21 AM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote