View Single Post
Old 05-09-14, 04:05 PM   #14
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

One of my buddies made a "toilet lid" dehumidifier unit. He used one of the old brown units (GE, Kenmore, Whirlpool, they're all the same) that he found dumpster diving. He found the unit was short cycling because it was clogged up with dust. Once pressure washed, it worked fine. But that wasn't good enough for him.

The unit in question has a tube and fin evaporator, and a spiral tube condenser. The condenser was wound much like a cheap electric range element. He unwound a little of the condenser, so that it hung below the unit. I guess his toilet tank lid was broken already (or missing) and he had made a replacement out of aluminum. He took the catch basin out of the unit, so that the evaporator would drain into his toilet tank. He bolted the unit to his toilet tank lid, and hung the condenser into the toilet tank.

According to him, the thing does an awesome job. I do know it's quiet, unlike the newer dehumidifiers. It sounds something like a dorm refrigerator when it runs.

If I can remember, I'll take pics of it next time I visit him. His stuff looks like Randen's when he finishes it. Neat and sanitary.

Last edited by jeff5may; 05-11-14 at 11:35 AM..
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote