View Single Post
Old 06-13-17, 05:49 PM   #24
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordguy64 View Post
After more thinking.. I think I'm going to stay with the original idea of water buffer tanks on both sides. Maybe I'll make a dedicated heat pump for the water heater that is dx.

I feel the water on both sides gives me so much more freedom to do things with the heat pump..
Yes unless the capacity of the heat pump is small, the DX exchange pipes will use more refrigerant than a plate heat exchanger. The surface area of the piping isn't very large either. A plate heat exchanger is very compact and will use hardly any refrigerant compared to other types. Less refrigerant is pretty much always better.

I am a fan of matching heat exchangers to compressor capacity, plus extra. Once the rig is plumbed, it's done. The water side can be rigged to whatever, however, whenever. Having multiple rigs gives flexibility. The upsize lets you pump more water without losing heat transfer. With variable speed pumps, the exit water temps can be regulated at each unit if desired. This works on both sides of the rig to get you where you want to go quickly.

Last edited by jeff5may; 06-15-17 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: Spelling
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote