View Single Post
Old 02-10-14, 11:45 PM   #19
David
David

Hello Daox,

Thank you for the interest.
I have all but given up on my bore/well.
I did not mention that the pump was no longer working.
It cost me $1,000. I simply forgot about it all as there seemed to be no economicaly sensible alternative. However I thought that the system would provide enough water should my home ever catch fire. Australia is a wonderful country but it has been desccribed by a venerated Australian poet (Dorothea Mackellar) in part as follows:

" I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of droughts and flooding rains... "

When I tried the bore the pump failed to work. So much for my fire hydrant.
I pulled it up a few weeks ago only to find it back as pitch and caked in a decomposing shroud. I know the black is probably caused by manganese and no doubt the high salt content has not improved the brew.

I hope to fix the pump and suspend it above the water line to avoid any future repetition of pump failure .

It is not without significance that today is a day of total fire ban as grass fires sweep through the state ( bit of an over statement) and firbrigade vehicles rush past my home and smoke is everywhere though the fires are not that close to me.

I have a 12' plus conifer hedge out the front that is well maintained albeit over 12 foot tall. These are fearsome when they catch fire . I did plan to fillit with sprinklers should a fire become threateningly close.

My plans at present are to create a solar driven cool air supply to my home by inserting a coil of black poly pipe (filled with water) down into my bore . I then propose to place a fan within this coil and some way down my bore. The top of the bore will then become an insulated tube of say 10' diameter that will run to my home where I hope to deliver some cool comfort during extended periods of high temperature .

I may have given up the fight for a gree oasis for the moment but it goes against thr grain to just give up.

So thats the news . Thank you again Daox .

regards
David
David is offline   Reply With Quote