View Single Post
Old 04-27-14, 07:31 PM   #5
Exeric
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nokiasixteth View Post
I got up in the attic the other day . Measured it was a blazing 134 degrees. It got me thinkin being i dont have a dryer .Noticed Xringer uses it to heat his basement durin the winter. I thought about utilizing the heat built up up there . Run it somehow to the dryer along with the solar air heater i have just blowing heat out every day . Anyone know if that would be feasable. And even to help take a little bit of the cooling load. A
This is a really good idea. I have been thinking about how to utilize excess heat from my attic system in the cooling season:http://ecorenovator.org/forum/solar-...bottom-up.html

I've measured the temperature up there and it has already gotten to a peak of 137 F! I've considered for a long time using it to heat water but it seems like more work than it's worth. I even have it plumbed with ducting and a 200 cfm fan that I originally planned for that. But I decided after careful thought that just using net metered PV was a better solution for my electric water heater. Much less stuff to break and leave me taking cold showers.

I think the trick to making this work would be if you could find an electric dryer with a makeup air connection. If they are made (I don't know if they are)then you could kill two birds with one stone. You wouldn't be replacing conditioned air with outside air and you would get a free source of hot air. Just put the dryer in Tumble Only mode with no electric heat whenever you have excess attic heat and you want to dry your clothes while simultaneously cooling the attic.

Anyone know of any dryers with a makeup air connection?
Exeric is offline   Reply With Quote