View Single Post
Old 08-13-15, 07:13 PM   #3
NeilTheCop
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
I was thinking of spreading out the existing insulation to fill in those areas and then use a piece of plywood to flatten it sorta making it more of a dense pack, then blow in the new insulation on top of it. Maybe that's too much work? I don't know. Will that cause problems?

According to his ad, for 1000 sq. ft, one would need
11 bags = R13
17 bags = R19
19 bags = R21
24 bags = R25
29 bags = R30
39 bags = R38
54 bags = R49
69 bags = R60

I estimated that I have about 12 to 15 inches of cellulose insulation in there already. Wouldn't it be be a waste of money to have R60?
I did much the same thing.
When we moved in there was no attic insulation at all, and as we just bought the house we were broke so the cheapest insulation was the recycled newspaper bales, plus they let us use the machine to blow it in for free.
Horrible mistake because every time I went into the attic I returned with at least half a pound of the insulation stuck to my clothes, even more if I was sweating. The insulation would then find it's way into everything.
When money improved I bought enough sheets of OSB to cover the attic floor, sealing in the insulation but leaving the electrical boxes uncovered. I then bought rolls of R-30 fiberglass insulation and put 2 layers in the attic to give about R-60.
Best move ever
NeilTheCop is offline   Reply With Quote