View Single Post
Old 06-19-15, 01:15 AM   #13
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
My house doesn't have any skylights, but many years ago I thought of installing one. That didn't happen for a number of reasons, but I did think about solar gain then and came up with the following idea:
Mount a mirror vertically on the south edge of the skylight, shading it from direct sunlight, but reflecting indirect light from the north.
During the colder months flip the mirror to the skylight's northern edge facing south, reflecting additional sunlight, and partially shading it from northern winds and snow.

This would require access twice a year, and the mirror would have to withstand wind, but it would decrease solar gain in the summer without decreasing light too much, while increasing light and heat in the winter.
The idea strikes me as unnecessarily complex, then again, maybe it's just the complex explanation of why a simple idea could work.

But to keep on with your idea... a series of reflective louvers, like venetian blinds, could keep a low profile and give you the effect you have described.

-AC