View Single Post
Old 03-26-14, 12:55 PM   #2
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennelson View Post
...Recently, I started playing around with "Sous-Vide"...
Nicely executed project.

I tried the same thing a while back. I didn't get any further than cooking an egg. I was intrigued by the "6X degree C egg" concept, and the effects of precision temperature control on the various egg proteins.

From your explanation, I couldn't tell if you are using an on-off temperature controller with adjustable on-points and off-points, or if you went all in for a PID controller?

The PID controller seems to be "the bomb" where Sous-Vide cooking is concerned, because PID can hold much tighter temperature levels (.1 degree C) and don't feature those nasty temperature swings that an off-on controller would have.

Also, it seems that in the geek-cooking world, Sous-Vide cookers don't rely on natural convection of the water, but instead they feature some kind of mechanical water-circulation feature to guarantee uniform temperature dispersion.

But back to the egg... it was delicious, and it was as creamy and subtle as I had expected. If I were to continue, I would make sure that I used only the freshest organic eggs possible.

But I am moving away from eating animal protein of any kind, more for health reasons than for reasons pertaining to 'humane treatment of animals' reasons.

I'm not aware that Sous-Vide techniques apply to vegetarian cooking.

So, I have set my PID controller aside for some future project.

Have you heard of Modernist Cuisine: The Art and Science of Cooking? It seems to be the Super Highway that leads in the same direction in which you are going.

Good luck with your explorations!

Best,

-AC