View Single Post
Old 07-12-11, 02:34 PM   #14
TimJFowler
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomboy mom View Post
disclaimer: concrete slab house.

1)is there an easier way to use left over bath water than filling up and carrying gallon jugs of water? we have a bath only about 15 -25 feet from several plants in our front yard. is there a way to use a hose or something similar to accomplish this that won't leave evidence outside when not in use? we have an hoa so anything in the front has to be very discreet. my kids and i have been carrying them out with 1 gallon jugs. it works but makes a mess.

2) also, any good ideas for setting up a more permanent system without the discreet restrictions for kitchen sink that is next to an exterior wall to the backyard?

3) washing machine is upstairs and is high efficiency. is it even worth trying to set up a system for collecting that gray water?
I have one suggestion. Read Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands and Beyond by Brad Lancaster. This is one of the most thorough resources I have found for how to use and direct greywater to your plants. This book is filled with many practical examples of how to design and plumb greywater system(s) that are simple and unobtrusive.

Based on examples in this book I have built two simple branched drains in the front yard that direct rainwater from gutters to mulched basins that water multiple plantings. I will be adding grey water from our washing machine to one of the branched drains this summer.

FWIW,
Tim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TimJFowler is offline   Reply With Quote