View Single Post
Old 07-24-16, 07:07 AM   #15
DEnd
Apprentice EcoRenovator

A passive house is a decision on where to spend your money. I try to look at things Via a cost for performance perspective, rather than just up-front cost. I'll even pay a bit of a premium when you compare life-cycle cost for better performance vs. lifetime energy costs. My reasoning is that Energy Costs are highly volatile and it is a lot more annoying to try to budget for rising energy prices than it is for a mortgage.

As for Windows I like what I see from Alpen, Though Marvin Integrity and Infinity are good choices too as are Numerous other Fiberglass options. My preference is to get something that has local support. Alpen is fairly local to you (Yes I know how big CO is) so that would be a big plus in my book.

You may be able to get a more affordable option by going with a uPVC frame such as Intus Windows as well.

You might also look at Indow interior storm windows as well those will give you about a 0.9 R-value increase. And if you want to get really crazy insulated exterior shutters (other than air sealing this is likely the best bang for the buck).
DEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DEnd For This Useful Post:
buffalobillpatrick (07-24-16)