Thread: seedling shelf
View Single Post
Old 03-16-17, 02:45 PM   #4
sunspot
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by natethebrown View Post
I am curious though, why do you need so much space for seedlings?
Yeah, good question. Truth is we probably don't. I started building this as a valentine's gift for the best wife in the world but it took longer than I thought to put together so... it's waaay late. But the gift aspect meant there was no consultation on the design/size. And I'm the less smart one when it comes to plants so I just winged the design. The heating mat we had and the 4' tubes are a common (inexpensive) size so that defined the footprint. I figured there was no sense wasting vertical real estate so built it as tall as I could and still be able to tip it from flat to upright in our lowest ceiling room.

Besides, along this gardening adventure I've learned that anything worth doing is worth overdoing. Initially we thought a couple of raised beds would suffice. Now we've got four and are planning a fifth. Our fenced area is fully twice what we had staked out to start and it's starting to feel pinched. We're also members of the local seed savers club and seed amassing program so plants are grown and selected for various ends. With our increased capacity to produce strong, healthy, locally adapted seedlings more can be sold into the community the profits helping the club meet it's charitable, community goals.

And it's fun! The cabbage grew today! No, really... they did!
sunspot is offline   Reply With Quote