View Single Post
Old 05-02-11, 09:36 PM   #1
dh1
Helper EcoRenovator

Default Electric Sears Craftsman

This is my first post here and I'd thought I'd start off with my little Electric Sears.
I got this a few yrs back as a rusted out non running old junker from my neighbor, he had 2 of them, said "fix 1 for me and the rest is yours". So that's what I did, gave him a running gas riding mower that cuts grass and what was left over was the start of the project.
Took it all apart cleaned and tried to figure out how to make this thing move with battery power. At the time the only motor I had was a 12volt starter/generator off a 40+yr old Tecumseh gas engine, so I mounted it where the gas engine sat and started to experiment with different voltages, to see what worked and what didn't. Found out the motor spins the wrong way and is not reversible so I put a twist in the belt (fig 8) and got the right rotation at the transaxle. Discovered that 24volts gave enough power to move it along at about the same speed as the gas version. Also discovered that grounding the field terminal gave less power and speed. No controller was going to be used here, only a contractor, so grounding the field gave me a slow speed, 2 speed on the motor, 5sp trany, gave 10 forward and 2 reverse speeds.
Next came batteries, best place to put them was where the motor sits, so I moved the motor to make room for the 2 group 29, 12volt deep cycle batteries and weld in some brackets for them. Figured out where to put everything else. The 12volt contractor horn and lights run off 1 batt. the S/G motor runs off 24volts.
Installed an amp and volt meter (12volt meter measures 1 battery only), amp meter is total draw. Also installed momentary foot switch, main key disconnect, speed selector switch and retained the brake switch which shuts off the motor when brake depressed.
Took it all apart again and painted then reassembled it and pictures show what it is.
This is more of a kids toy but I have used it to haul around a little trailer for yard cleanups.

Performance: it works, 1st gear, tie it it a tree and it will sit there and spin the tires effortlessly, 5th gear reaches top speed in less than 2 seconds. Easily climbs hills.
Run time estimate 3hrs+???
45 minutes non stop use the motor is too hot to put your hand on.
For short little jaunts here and there it's good, for long term non stop running your going to cook the motor.

Charger: I use a 24volt cordless mower battery charger and it works great, shuts off when battery pack charged.

I have done a video of this but can't post a link to it.

Attached Images

Last edited by Daox; 05-15-14 at 02:43 PM.. Reason: spelling
dh1 is offline   Reply With Quote