View Single Post
Old 01-04-12, 05:28 PM   #23
Student 07
Helper EcoRenovator

Hi,
Everybody have brought up some good points and ideas. It is great to discuss this.

DocAir: you have a great presentation and bring up some good points about the benefits of co generation. When I read the news they say we are having trouble switching to a renewable energy system because our electrical network is so outdated and not compatible with the renewable energy sources like wind.

So, if everybody used a cogeneration unit we would shift the energy demand from our electrical network to our gas pipeline networks and free up our electrical network for renewable energy. From what I understand numerous Japanese homes use a co generator for this reason. And it would be great if you are "off grid".

The other side to the argument is the problem with decentralizing. Our cars for example: The government says most cars are not properly maintained, so they waste fuel and cause pollution. Could the same thing be said about co generators? Also there is a big push to use electric vehicles which rely on a centralized generation system. The idea is that it is easier to maintain one large power plant than to have many improperly maintained power plants.

I am not saying everybody would fail to maintain their cogenerator, but just like our cars, a lot of them will become wasteful and polluting. Don't get me wrong, I think there are numerous benefits to decentralized energy, but I guess I am a green capitalist, meaning that it has to be cost effective.

Right now with our current fuel prices a co generator isn't cost effective. Even if the equipement came way down in price, the cost of operating a cogenerator is still a lot higher than what we currently have.

To me co generators are great in principle, I wish my current boiler (without using more fuel) produced free electricity too; however, it doesn't. And to change to a system that does just doesn't pencil out, yet.

Perhaps the problem is scale and marketing of the cogenerators. The producers need to prove that there is a benefit to purchasing their machines.

I have an idea I wanted to throw out there. Since co generators are sized and primarily used as a heat source: what about hooking up a heat pump to cool the motor down and provide even more heat to the home? This would cut it's fuel use down and still heat the house. The cogenerator wouldn't have to produce so many BTUs since the heat pump would increase the heat.

Co generators are very iteresting, and I hope in the future they may become more appealing, but for now I am still not sold.
Student 07 is offline   Reply With Quote