View Single Post
Old 07-10-12, 10:25 AM   #24
benpope
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xringer View Post
Those 49% that don't pay any taxes aren't going to be happy.
Please step away from the Kool-Aid, Xringer. It is true that not everyone pays Federal Income Taxes. However, 100% of people pay taxes; sales tax, state income tax, wheel tax, property tax, sin tax, marriage license, Social Security, Medicare, etc. No matter what the pundits may say, everyone pays taxes. When you take all taxes together, all income groups pay about the same percentage of income in taxes. Most of those who don't pay Federal Income Taxes work and pay in other years. The remainder are mostly students, retired, or disabled. This brief gives more detail on why "49% pay no taxes" is such a misleading statistic.

Though a "free check" from SSDI sounds like a great deal, at about $1,100 per month on average that puts you right at the poverty line. Having lived below the poverty line in my early 20s, I can assure you that it is no fun. There wasn't much beer to be had. I can't imagine having to do it with kids. Also, it is difficult to get SSDI. About 60% of applications are rejected. Of course there is fraud and we can debate how much disability dissuades people from working, but on the whole it does what it is supposed to do--supports people who are physically or mentally unable to work a normal job.
benpope is offline   Reply With Quote