View Single Post
Old 11-01-13, 09:33 PM   #9
where2
DIY Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Do you guys find yourself really using the wifi thermostat function a lot to alter the house temperature remotely?
Having the WiFi thermostat allows me to do several things. I can remotely look at the temperature inside the house. I can check the humidity level in the house. I can kick the circulation fan on. I can kick the heat on. I can turn the A/C off.

When my wife calls to tell me she's having issues getting on the internet, I can tell whether the wife's WiFi problem is isolated to her PC, or whether it's a house-wide WiFi problem, then direct her what to reboot.

The Nest thermostat also provides me with run time data for the past 10 days for the HVAC system. It will provide reasonably highly detailed data if you care for it. For instance, I can tell you my A/C ran about a 20 minute blip at 1AM, another 20 minute blip at 4AM, not at all again until 5:30PM, where it ran for roughly 45 minutes, a 15 minute blip at ~8:50pm, a 30 minute blip at 9:45pm, and a 35 minute blip around 10PM.

If you really want to have fun, you can lock the system remotely. I don't recommend using it on your wife or spouse, but the baby sitter, the house sitter and the roommate are all fair game.
where2 is offline   Reply With Quote