View Single Post
Old 11-25-12, 11:12 AM   #37
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may
Default Murphy's law strikes again...

The unit has been running faithfully since the last repair until sometime this morning. I moved the defrost thermistor to the other side of the evaporator circuit, near the TXV, to ensure the coil was defrosting completely. In its original location, the control was terminating defrost soon after hot gas began to flow into the coil. Ice was building up on the bottom inch of the coil, since the melted frost didn't have time to drain. Now, the evap coil is bone dry and the unit is growing icicles on it at the drain point! At least it was...

Last night when I checked, it was 23 degrees F outside, and the unit was blowing 90 degree air (72 degrees indoors at the furnace). This morning, I woke to find the unit blowing 68 degree air and 10 psi suction pressure. I unplugged the beast and let everything equalize. Pressures leveled out at 50 psi. Great. I popped the cover and started spraying everything with soapy water. This time, I found a leak at the joint where the discharge line leaves the compressor. Oh well, at least it's not a joint I brazed. Hopefully this will be the last bug.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote