View Single Post
Old 10-06-12, 09:40 PM   #8
TimJFowler
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennelson View Post
Hey folks, recently I modified a crock-pot, kicked down my front door, and DIDN'T burn the house down.....

I did want to get the crock pot a bit hotter, as the regular bread recipe calls for an oven preheated to 475, AND preheating the dutch oven as well. I’ve always thought it’s a shame that they don’t INSULATE the crock pot. On mine, the outside is plain brushed stainless steel. Once it’s going, you can’t touch the outside of it. In fact, with my thermometer, I found out that ours actually gets hotter on the outside than the inside! It also heats up the counter a bit too.

So, why not “modify” the crock-pot? I had some cardboard handy (which is GREAT insulation!) so I set the pot on a piece. I also have some radiant barrier insulation around – sort of construction-grade aluminum-faced bubble wrap. Hmmm. The piece I had handy was already formed into the shape of a casserole dish insulator. Oh, look! A cardboard box. Let’s just use this instead.
So, has anyone tried insulating a crock-pot in a more permanent and less handle melting way?

We have a similar stainless steel bodied crock-pot and I've definitely noticed that it gets quite hot to the touch. I just checked ours and
1) I can easily remove the base from the sides with a philips screwdriver and a pair of pliers.
2) There is just airspace between the inner and outer walls of the crock-pot base.

What would be a suitable high-ish temp insulator to fit or fill between the inner and outer walls of the crock pot? High-temp fiberglass? Rockwool? Vermiculite?

I'm guessing that a couple of thermocouples regulate the temperature. What would be the possible side-effects of insulating the base?

Who will nobly experiment with their crock-pot first (Ben?) to see if this could work?

Tim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TimJFowler is offline   Reply With Quote