View Single Post
Old 07-08-16, 08:20 AM   #61
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I have five mini split heads at my house and on top of that I have a 4 ton AC unit.
Three on the mini splits are single head units they are more efficient than the other units.
If you don’t put all the outside units on the same side of the house it really is not a big deal.
Yes it is different than what we are used to looking at. Mine are on the back and side of the house.Your really don’t pay them much attention and they are not noisy like my 4 ton unit.

My 4 ton unit has not run in three years my natural gas heat has not run in two years.
We all like different temps. I keep my office cooler my kids each keep their rooms at the temp they like.
The living room is more of a compromise our house temp is much more comfortable that when we used forced air my wife like using the mini splits better than the forced air we use to use.

Our cooling cost are so much lower. Our cooling and heating cost are covered by solar power. The cost of installing all mini splits was less than just the main unit of the geothermal system.
My neighbor has a small track hoe and I have 8 acres I thought about a self-install geothermal system. I came here for advice and was swayed to install mini splits and I am glad I did. These mini splits will pay for them self with savings but solar helps that calculation.

I am not saying you should do what I did. Each house systems needs are unique and your goals need to be meet. I just wanted to give you our experience when we had to decide between geothermal and mini splits. You have the advantage of planning it for the start and not retrofitting like I did.
Good luck and whet ever you decide.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote