View Single Post
Old 09-06-11, 06:53 PM   #3
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

Good to know, I can easily track down a thin sheet of aluminum and spray paint it black as I wouldn't need to use a fan in that case as it would likely easily flow off of the metal considering heat sinks are made of aluminum. Fabric though, if the surface is warm that surface will radiate heat. I've felt the heat rising off of a pair of blue jeans sitting on the carpet while the carpet right next to it in the sunlight was cold.

I'd have to dismiss the solar idea in this application because the cost of small cells in the quantity I'd need would be more effort and expense than its worth, I could easily use a switching power supply for a small load like that. Fun with solar panels is great but I've had my fun with small panels and if I do anything with them in the future it will be an array of around 4kw which would produce well beyond my yearly electricity use.

I don't need much heat gain to make much of a difference as last winter's largest gas bill was 86 therms or $70 including service and city fees($10.50). I'm just looking to augment heat gain wherever I can. I've mostly finished air sealing and haven't added on to the attic insulation yet as the only air sealing left to do is the attic and as it is getting R75 cellulose up there. Once I do that I'm curious where the heating bill will be but I'm also curious what a spray foamed or well sealed new construction using 2x6 framing with blown-in cellulose and properly designed southern glazing looks like for gas usage in the winter.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote