View Single Post
Old 08-31-11, 09:51 PM   #936
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braebyrn View Post
I spent some time today speaking to a well driller and reseller of drilling equipment. He is familiar with my unit and suggested that I go to the geology department at the local university. They will know the lay of the land as far as the soil conditions in my area.

He said the problem that I am having is that the drag bit (pictured in a few posts back) will little to no effect on the football size rocks that are in the borehole. He mentioned that I am drilling in unconsolidated formations (A sediment that is loosely arranged or unstratified (not in layers) or whose particles are not cemented together (soft rock); occurring either at the ground surface or at a depth below the surface).

He said that it will bounce the drilling rig and cause early wear and possible breakage. He suggested that I look for a hardened Tri cone bit.
This all sounds like knowledgeable advice.

I searched through ebay and found quote a few tricone bits, here's the smallest one I saw:

Looks like it has a very tapered thread, so you'll need to come up with an adapter of some kind. I bet the drilling equipment guy knows just what you need.

Looks like herlichka's advice could hardly be more timely.

-AC_Hacker
Attached Images