View Single Post
Old 10-25-11, 02:47 AM   #7
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
I got some more details about this system from the head of the project, he said that it was a 700 foot coil, not 200 foot like I was told before, they haven't picked out a pump yet so they aren't sure about electrical use either, but specs for this type of ground loop apparently say 8,000,000 BTU per year for heating or about 80 therms worth of natural gas per heating season and that it can take care of 100% of the cooling needs for the house.
This is on a house that is around 1,000 sf with two solar hot water panels for heat and just over 3kw of PV that is designed to make it a net -0- house, rented to low income people and it should make a profit.
Well, when you see these guys again, tell them that AC_Hacker said that if they had used two 350' loops in parallel, they could have cut their circ pump power requirements by a factor of 4.

But I really love the design ideas and the very big use of insulation!

It's when this thorough heat loss minimization is carried through in such a complete fashion, then low intensity heating and cooling becomes truly workable.

And of course, the heat recovery ventilator becomes not only an important part of the design, but necessary for comfort and health.

Great stuff! Thanks for telling us about this.

-AC_Hacker
buffalobillpatrick (04-22-17)