View Single Post
Old 10-19-11, 01:30 AM   #2
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
...but one thing that I had not seen done before was a 300' ground loop of 1" PEX that is berried out in the yard that is going to temper the incoming air, the theory is that it will bring any incoming air up to 50F, or in the summer bring that incoming air down to 50F with a water to air heat exchanger/radiator...but assuming that the pump and fan do not draw a lot of electricity this could work really well, granted this house was around 1,000sf and super insulated but this was also only being used to temper the air, not to full on heat it or cool it...
I am seeing integrated units being sold by Zehnder in Europe that use the tempered air concept that you describe. They also use Heat Recovery Ventilation, heat pump water heating, heat pumps scavenging heat from inside air, after it has passed through the HRV.

Here's a photo of a combination unit from Europe that does space heating, water heating, heat recovery ventilation, and I think it also does geo-tempered air.

I tried to find a photo of an 'active' HRV, in other words, it uses a small heat pump to maximize the effect of the HRV. This is the best I could find:

At this time, these units are not being sold in the US... It would be a great hack project!

I think you edited out of your original post, some comment about how the workmen were complaining about how so much extra work was going into housing for the poor... Ha, ha, ha!!!

I think it is about time we had a little 'trickle up'!

-AC_Hacker

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 10-19-11 at 01:35 AM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC_Hacker For This Useful Post:
buffalobillpatrick (04-22-17)