View Single Post
Old 01-01-13, 07:39 PM   #50
Kip
Cajun Innovater

Guys,
Thanks for the response.
Geo NR Gee - I see you are in Seattle. Small world, my sister lives in Kent, and will be here this weekend. Meanwhile, back on the ranch......

To answer a few questions.
The building is 30x30x18 (Will try to post a pic)

It is only a workshop, I have not completed the inside yet, a few more circuit to run, then the insulation and T1-11 to cover it up. I don't want this to end up costing me much more that 500 or so. My electric bill for the shop is only about 30 bucks a month, and that is with the air compressor, welder, and all that stuff that goes in a shop.

I would like to keep the electric bill as low as I can. I wanted to go with a wood burning heater as I have 100 acres will all the wood I can handle....

There is insulation in the building R-19 in the walls 8 inch I think, and the ceiling has a thermal layer of insulation about an inch thick. I fight with the heat here more than I fight with the cold. But the builder suggested the thermal layer instead of other type of insulation.

#1, How good is the insulation? Not sure what you mean, I think your asking the "R" value. The walls are R-19 and the ceiling I really couldn't say. Insulation is new.

#2, Is 30x30x 18' high ceilings? Yes, 18'

#3, How many sq ft of windows? There are 3 windows, 2 in the front, and 1 in the back. 3' square maybe (each).

#4, What type of windows? Single pane, non insulated

#5, Are the doors insulated? (Any garage doors?) No, I have 2 roll up doors, 1 4'x10' door, and the other is 18'x10' 1 personnel door, metal.

#6, Will the area require heat every day? (for how many hours?). No, I will only heat while I am working or fooling around in the shop. I am away for 2 weeks a month, I work offshore on a 14/14 rotation.

#7, Do you have a good source of wood (or other solid fuel)? Yes, too much wood if you ask me....(or too much work)

#8, Is the roof suitable for solar collectors? (Sun exposure good?) I would think so, but not the rout I wanted to take, solar power just isn't for me.

Anyway, Here a re a few pics that I hope will shed some light on the subject.

I couldn't upload them to the site, something about a security token, but I put them on my SkyDrive. Here is the link. http://sdrv.ms/U6WQdR
Kip is offline   Reply With Quote