View Single Post
Old 07-21-18, 04:08 PM   #18
Elcam84
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Been reading a little here and there on the subject and found references to an old condenser that was like what the OP is wanting to do. It was basically a condenser coil with a swamp cooler wrapped around it. Sounds like it worked but had issues with rusting out.

Now I have planted a couple mister heads about 3' from the condenser. I'm using a couple of drip irrigation spikes that have screw in heads. The mister nossles have the same thread so... They spray straight up. I am funning the water through a big commercial water filter from a wendys remodel. Its a triple filter with an ice machine clarifier that removes the vast majority of the minerals.
I wouldn't usually do this on my own unit that is only a couple years old but its been quite hot here. It was 119* the last two days and its 115* right now in the back yard.... Its 95* by 9am some mornings and still 100* by 10pm. So anything that might help keep the house a little cooler...

I have noticed a slight drop in amps even though my sprayers are further away but the water is being drawn towards the unit. Most is evaporating on its way to the unit cooling the air. Its only 1-2 amps but its a benefit and it does shut off for a few minutes here and there. However I have had to close off a bedroom which makes a marked difference on hot days. I only plan to run this from about noon till 9pm while its the hottest and until the extreme heat passes.

Will see how it goes. Oh and here is a link to my weather station. I just went out and checked it with a second thermometer and they are both reading the same, unfortunately my exterior temp is correct... https://www.wunderground.com/persona...d?ID=KTXAZLE23

I also let the water tun for a bit to see what the cold water temp was... The "cold" water temp rose to 88* after I let it run a few minutes...

Oh and also luckily we changed our electric plan last year. So last month was only about $155 where as on the old plan it would have been well into the 200s. Oh I cant wait till we move...
Elcam84 is offline   Reply With Quote