View Single Post
Old 07-10-18, 10:28 PM   #17
Elcam84
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
I really don't want to spray my condenser.
The water here is incredibly hard. It maxes out the water test strips I have.

What is the humidity there in the summer? Spraying with cold water will work anywhere but using the swamp cooler method to precool the incoming air wont be very successful with humidity over something like 25%.

I will never understand why they sell swamp coolers here as the humidity never lets them be effective here....

Looking at your numbers thats a drop of 5 amps and a decrease in vent temp which could be computed into even lower amp draw for comparison sake. Just doing some rough numbers in my head even if you were to spray the coils with water the energy savings would be more than worth it and end up in an actual lesser usage of water when you factor in the water needed to produce electricity.
A better use would be to use condensate water as it is much cleaner and essentially free in a way. Here we produce well over 5 gallons a day but you would need a tank and a pump.

But the issues of direct water on the coils like mentioned can be mitigated. However the other issue would be the runoff which over time would soak the ground around the condenser if not routed to the yard away from the unit.
Elcam84 is offline   Reply With Quote