View Single Post
Old 12-09-12, 02:16 AM   #52
Vlad
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Very cool project. Just like AC made Heat pump from junk......

Just few things to add:

1 You can distill propane like I did. It is very easy just like making vodka. Old Russian tradition.

a. I put propane tank in freezer overnight. Low temperature will keep many additives frozen or liquid.

b. I connected refrigerant recovery unit and started pulling vapor propane from tank. Evaporating propane will keep tank even colder.

c. I used filter drier before recovery unit. There are some filters driers with male/female flares.

d. Condense propane to second tank.

After this I got odorless propane. I checked it's pressure/temperature looks just like R290.

2 You can connect condenser and evaporator in series to make bigger evaporator. This will help to get better COP but this won't change system capacity. System capacity is a compressor size. I do understand that better COP= more BTU output and kinda more capacity but this doesn't affect much.

3 For defrost you only need off-cycle defrost which is compressor off and fan on. Warm air will melt the ice. You need to figure out timing. Just experiment.

4 To get better COP you need to keep water temperature as close as possible to air temperature. Sounds stupid but this is reality. The best way is to have 2 water tanks one is preheater with heat pump and the other is electric or gas to heat and store hot water at safe temperature 140F (Legionella ).

Last edited by Vlad; 12-09-12 at 02:20 AM..
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote