View Single Post
Old 09-21-09, 01:06 PM   #8
Christ
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
I don't fallow you Christ, I haven't seen really any aluminum framed windows in the trash let alone ones that have the depth of the frame to hold the glass, collector, backer and have insulation in there, but with the cost of scrap aluminum I'll have to keep my eyes out more as I could then easly pay for new frames by collecting scrap and turning it in.
The aluminum that they have extruded for these frames has a profiles that looks kind of like an "E" and to make a weather tight corner you just cut the ends and drill a few holes for screws, the corresponding holes are in the extrusions already.
You'll be looking for sealed window frames for industrial/commerce buildings. The ones that you see in office buildings, those frames are aluminum, they look like an "E" on the face that seals the glass in, but the opposite side is hollow, and they faster together with interlocking clips and screws. To make the smooth face on the window frame, they clip on another piece of aluminum that you won't be worried about, since you won't be using the separator panels.

If you check construction sites, there are a few types of these aluminum frames in use. Check with construction agencies in your area about what types of windows they install in commercial buildings and office buildings, and if they'll sell you a few feet of the frames (make sure you know what you need before you ask). Chances are, they'll sell you the pieces at their cost.

The frames that I'm picturing in my head right now are about 3-4" across, and have slots for 2 panes of double-paned glass, for a total of 4 vacuum-sealed (or gassified) sheets of glass.
Christ is offline   Reply With Quote