View Single Post
Old 09-16-12, 07:41 AM   #5
Daox
Administrator

I finished up washing up the panels for now. They're all sitting on my porch now waiting for pressure testing, and some other work.

For the record, this is the test setup that I am using. I got all of my parts off of mcmaster.com.

2439K43 - 3 Each - All-plastic Test Plug, With Solid Stem, For Pipe Id .98" To 1.2"
2566K13 - 1 Each - Plastic Test Plug With Bypass Stem, For Pipe Id .98" To 1.20"
4089K61 - 1 Each - Multipurpose Gauge, Plastic Case, 2" Dial, 1/4 Npt Bottom, 0-100 Psi
53175K29 - 1 Pack - Miniature Bolt Hose & Tube Clamp, 304 Ss, 19/32" To 43/64" Clamp Dia Range
5633K23 - 1 Ft. - Hose For Push-on Fitting, Buna-n/pvc Blend, Black, 3/8" Id X 5/8" Od
44605K152 - 1 Each - Low-pressure Blk Malleable Iron Thrd Fitting, 1/4 Pipe Size, Tee
47865K21 - 1 Each - Brass Ball Valve, 1/4" Npt Female Connections
5350K36 - 1 Each - Zinc-plated Steel Barbed Hose Fitting, Std-wall Adapter,3/8" Hose Id X 1/4" Npt Male Pipe
6534K46 - 1 Each - Industrial-shape Hose Coupling, Plug, Znc-pltd, 1/4" Nptf Male, 1/4 Cplg Size
44615K412 - 1 Each - Standard-Wall Blk Steel Threaded Pipe Nipple 1/4 Pipe Size X 7/8" Length, Fully Threaded

This is the setup. I am missing the 1/4" nipple between the tee and ball valve in the picture because I thought I had one on hand and didn't.

The test plus come in two flavors. One has a hole through the center of it so you can connect other things to it. The only problem is it doesn't have any type of standard fitting on the end of it. I decided to just go with a rubber hose of the same diameter. It is clamped over the threads and did leak so I put some silicon gasket maker on it and that sealed it up. I'm not testing at any crazy pressure 15-20 psi, so it doesn't have to hold up to much. I'm planning on testing each panel overnight or so to check for small leaks.

The test plugs are pretty simple, insert them and screw the handle and they expand and fill the pipe.

Here is the full assembly attached to a panel and also attached to my air compressor. You do have to be careful while filling the panel. The ball valve can shove a ton of air in there quite fast. I blew out a test plug twice already, but it works.

Right off the bat I tested the panel below and found a few problems. First off, is this crack in the pipe. It looks like it burst from water still being in it to me. I'm going to have to repair it. I'm not exactly sure how to do it. The current idea is to solder or braze a patch plate over the tube and then pressure test it to see if it held. Other ideas are welcome. Keep in mind that this system will be charged to 5-10 psi, heat will increase that as the water heats up. But, its not going to see any crazy high pressure.

I also found another area of leakage. All of the panels have this setup on the lower left and upper right. Its a rubber hose/coupling with two hose clamps. Half of them are old and cracked. So, I'm going through the panels and removing them.

Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Daox; 09-16-12 at 07:43 AM..
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote