View Single Post
Old 06-14-09, 09:16 PM   #10
Higgy
The Gardener

Default Self Watering Tomato Planter Finished

Ok, so I finally finished my tomato cage...one of them anyway. I didn't buy enough washers to finish the second one but it's almost done.

I didn't take a picture of EVERY step, but most of them. I also won't go through every step in this post as it would fill up a LOT of space, plus the video's that were put together by those two guys say a lot more then I could in this thread. The only difference between what I did and what they did is that I used mulch at the end to keep the soil moist instead of the plastic bag like the guy used in his video SVOBoy posted a while back which you can watch here:
Lifehacker - Turn Storage Containers into Self Watering Tomato Planters - Garden

It didn't take that long to do, but it was a little longer then an hour and a half like they touted. Maybe once you've done 50 or 60 of them.

As you can see, because they're so small I also put in a stick for now to stabalize them. I'll remove it later once they've gotten bigger.

So we'll see how it goes. I'll keep you updated on their progress and how well they grow.
Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote