View Single Post
Old 11-17-10, 11:19 PM   #212
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

I've read the entire thread and it does look easy, the only part that I was thinking to get the help on was the vacuum/nitrogen/charge part at the end. I figured that having someone else do that part would save money on the vacuum gauge, pump, oil, etc. ...but if it really is cheaper to DIY the final step, I might just buy all the equipment.

I'm doing it more for the 25SEER air conditioning that the 12RLS provides but thought the heating part was a bonus because of my 1983 furnace that has no induction blower and 76% efficiency. The current air conditioner is a tired unit that is still working but I think was undersized(physically very small unit, tag is worn white so no info on it but probably a 1.5 or 2 ton unit, sits on a 20 amp 230v circuit) when it was installed(hotter summer days and the A/C will run non-stop and house will be 80 degrees) and probably an 8 SEER unit or whatever the minimum was in 1986 when it was manufactured.

So I see it as a cheap way to purchase a unit, install it and avoid all the markups and heavy installation costs of a tech to come in and do everything. It would be a system that would be undersized but when the need arises, I'd fire up the existing system until a level of comfort is reached and let the Fujitsu maintain it unless its too cold for the heat pump to run effectively.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote