View Single Post
Old 02-24-12, 07:32 PM   #4
Student 07
Helper EcoRenovator

Hi,
I did a little research into the proper way to seal can lights. I installed Juno can lights in our house. So I contacted their technical dept. and got the following reply:

"In response to your inquiry regarding the use of spray type foam insulation with Juno IC
rated fixtures.

Based upon our Engineering Department's review, we cannot at this time recommend the use
of spray foam. Expansive testing would need to be conducted before such a recommendation
could be given. Our initial concerns are primarily related to the expansion during
installation. Great precautions would have to be used to insure that the housing and
junction box cavities were not penetrated thus preventing access and/or infiltration of
this product to the inner workings of the housing (i.e. socket, wire or thermal device).

Please call our Technical Service department with any questions"

So in regards to your question (below)

[If anyone knows if "sealed" AT/ IC cans are still typically leaky, please state so. Then the only solution is a foamed in box in the attic to solve the probelm, OR spraying the whole can assembly and junction with Pur or One Touch I suppose.[/QUOTE]

I would recommend the safe route and do as S-F suggested and use a sealed box around your fixtures. It is the safest route. A side benefit of drywall is that it is can be fire rated material.

My problem with boxes is that, if you have 16" of insulation in your attic and the box is 14" tall, you would only have 2" of insulation over the light. Then again the easy solution to that problem would be a few layers of rigid insulation and some spray foam.

Sometimes you have to just do what you can. If you have recessed lights in a cathedral ceiling you might try taking the trim ring off and use silicone to seal the drywall to the can. There may be other leaks, but everything helps.
Student 07 is offline   Reply With Quote