View Single Post
Old 02-24-12, 09:48 AM   #3
beatr911
Lurking Renovator

S-F thanks for the response. Yup the cans are AT/IC rated but are still leaking per the IR pictures and the interpretation from the guy that did the survey. It looks like a corona of air flow radiating from the can. Trying to foam with a can and the straw, I just can't get into all the areas between the can and the drywall and the truss from the attic side.

It appears that the can itsself is sealed well but I could be wrong on that. I'm guessing the air flow is coming around the can between it and the hole in the drywall.

I'm wondering if anyone has any good ideas on material and method for sealing from the living area side. You know, stopping the air from even getting past the can penetration of the drywall in the first place.

There are a couple of reasons why I want to explore this method of sealing. 1) It's probably easier that getting into the attic. 2) Cans are sometimes placed in locations where we cannot even get to the attic space like some cathedral ceilings or with other obstructions. 3) It's a common area of leakage. If you've got cans, they probably leak. 4) If it is easy and effective, others are more likely to do it.

Ideas anyone?

If anyone knows if "sealed" AT/ IC cans are still typically leaky, please state so. Then the only solution is a foamed in box in the attic to solve the probelm, OR spraying the whole can assembly and junction with Pur or One Touch I suppose.
beatr911 is offline   Reply With Quote