Thread: Switch to CFL's
View Single Post
Old 09-17-08, 08:33 PM   #1
Binger
Helper EcoRenovator

Default Switch to CFL's

When my wife and I got married and moved into our first apartment I went through and switched all the bulbs to CFL (except for the ones over the bathroom mirror) Cost about $65
The apartment company supplied all the lights with 100w bulbs. I used 60W equivilent CFL's

On the utility bills that OPPD sends out there is a graph that shows how that months energy useage compares to that month of the previous year.

Our first bill showed that we used only about 1/5th of the energy of the previous tennant.

I don't know what they had for electronics and what their usage habits were but our bills were consistently 1/5th from the previous. We had a really bad winter so we had the heat up abit but we still were about half of what it was the year before.

I definatly attribute this to the CFL's

Anyone else have any success stories to tell about CFL's?

About a month after we moved in they changed the meters in the laundry room from the analog dials to digital meeters.
I would check them every time we did laundry and over the 12 months we lived there it showed that we only used 1,025KWH.
The girls above us had CFLs and theirs read about 1,200
3 others were in the 2,000's and the lady down stairs read over 3,700 when we moved out.
I don't know if she left everything on when she was gone...but I often wondered if the washer and dryer and the mercury vapor light on the front of the building were on her meter or if they were averaged amongst the 6 units in our building.

Binger is offline   Reply With Quote