View Single Post
Old 09-18-11, 05:23 PM   #946
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo NR Gee View Post
From what I found on the internet, its called a Kelly valve or backflow prevention valve. There are no indications of Artisian wells around here, but it might be a good idea? Not sure though.
First I've heard of that one. Is the idea to prevent an artesian gusher from coming up the drill pipe? It seems to me the annulus is so much larger than the drill pipe, that preventing flow up the drill pipe would be the least of your worries. But then, maybe there's some aspect of the situation I'm unaware of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo NR Gee View Post
Thanks to my Grandfather, I have his Atlas Metal lathe along with boxes of bits and related tools to help with this project. The last time I used a metal lathe was in high school some 30 years ago. Might just have to ask some friends from Boeing to assist with the lathe.
Well, Howard, the machinist down the street told me that the lathe is the most dangerous tool in the shop, and getting your hair (no problem for you) or a shirt sleeve caught up in the rotating parts can be fatal. I even read earlier this year that a nice looking young female student at MIT died because her hair got caught in a lathe.

Be respectful of machine tools, 'cause we don't want to lose any GeoRenovators.

-AC_Hacker