View Single Post
Old 10-30-12, 03:34 PM   #95
S-F
You Ain't Me

Are you set on this contractor? It is standard practice to blow behind netting. That's the SOLE purpose of Insulweb. Net and blow is the default method for new construction simply because you can see what's happening. Even with a machine with a dual blower you won't blow the netting out. You could make a hammock out of the stuff. One layer of it. I do this all the time. I did an 8" wall the other day. I have done 12' and 14" walls with netting and the absolute most powerful double blower machines on the market. The only catch with a really powerful blower is that you've gotta be vigilant to not clog the hose. If you let it back up for too long you can quite literally dense pack 100' of hose. Then you're screwed. Nothing anyone with a little experience can't avoid. If you can rent a good machine and hook up a webcam with Skype or something I'll help you do it yourself. It's not difficult but it really does take some guidance at first. He probably only really has experience with drill 'n fill style dense packing, which is a sub optimal method. I have done this for, probably, thousands of bays and still when I fill a test box or test bay I don't do as good a job as when I blow behind netting. There are always some soft spots. Maybe it all equals out in the end because some parts are more than 3.5 Lbs. / ". I don't know. But all I can say is that after several months of drill 'n fill style blowing, the first time I blew behind netting I was shocked by all the voids. I mentioned to my co worker/teacher how this method is vastly superior to the drill 'n fill. All he had to say was "Oooohhhhh yeah". He'd worked as a cellulose blower exclusively for years. He's much better/faster than me and knows the score.

I wish you lived closer. I'd do it for you and show you how in the process.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chipping away on a daily basis.

Quote:
You know you're an ecorenovator if anything worth insulating is worth superinsulating.
Quote:
S-F: "What happens when you slam the door on a really tight house? Do the basement windows blow out?"

Green Building Guru: "You can't slam the door on a really tight house. You have to work to pull it shut."

Last edited by S-F; 10-30-12 at 03:44 PM..
S-F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S-F For This Useful Post:
Daox (10-30-12)