View Single Post
Old 01-22-12, 11:17 AM   #8
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

My first bill since getting the smart meter installed came. Funny thing about the smart meters is the remote reporting isn't active yet so I saw the meter reader walking through the snow on friday.

Anyways I had been tracking daily usage since the meter was installed. this bill would cover about 2 weeks before that happened as well so I was estimating what the bill would be.

My estimate was 1823 kwh costing me $142.
The bill was actually 1827 kwh costing me $156.79 for 59 days.
So this tells me that my usage is pretty stable. The running average of 30.4 kwh was only off by 4 kwh over that missing time frame. Also it tells me that my average cost per kwh has gone up since I last looked at it. I'll need to figure out what it actually is now. It's mostly changed in fees/taxes/credits/rider rates/... not in actual cost per kwh.

Anyways here's the raw info
HDD (18.5C) 952.9
CDD 0
Days Covered 59
KW.h used 1827
cost/kwh 0.08582
kwh/day 30.966
kwh/hdd 1.917

So first thing obvious is the kwh/day is up from last the oct/nov bill. Year over year it is however down 25.2% Even when you take into account the fact that it's been slightly warmer according to the HDD it's down almost 25%

I believe the increased usage month over month is coming from the central air fan running almost continuously on circulate to push the heat from the woodstove around. When that fan is on the UV light using 34 watts is on as well.

I believe the drop from last year is coming from appropriate clothes and me being serious about using the woodstove. I've also managed to get some of the laundry on clothes lines in the back. The smart meter has let me realize that the dryer was using almost double what I thought it was, so I do my best to plan laundry days for sunny days.

On the $75 credit front the electric company tells me I used 29.5% less on the last bill and I'm down 16% so far since they started counting.

Overall I'm very happy with the improvement.
strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote