View Single Post
Old 01-31-17, 02:06 PM   #13
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

I do this same thing without any dedicated hardware, except what I already own. At home, I use Google+ and messenger to make free calls using computers. The older desktops all have phone modems to rig a handset to if you want to. I use a headset or hands-free setup on the laptop or tablet most of the time anyway. Works with my home TV / internet service with no additional charges.

Cable companies offer "value added service" through their set-top boxes (VOIP and piggyback WiFi on the go), but it isn't free. If you have internet service, for a small fee they will make millions of other people's set-top boxes into available access points you can connect through. The cable companies are striking deals with each other, so depending on your provider, you may be able to get wifi from a different company's subscriber's box. All kinds of communications companies everywhere are also offering personal hotspots that will also fall back on cell data if you go out of range of (preferred) wifi access. This stuff is pretty new and all sounds like some sort of scam to me, but it is cheaper than having a dedicated cell voice/data plan or contract if having live data always is a must.

With the cellphone, I do the same basic thing without cell service. 99.7% of everywhere I am, there is WiFi access available. The only exception to this is while I am driving between places, and even then, the fast food joints all have free WiFi access points to hop onto. When I am actually driving, I shouldn't be texting or on the phone anyway. I use Google messenger, Facebook messenger, and TextFree to communicate. My phone hasn't had cell voice or data activated much at all in the last few years. I use Boost, which is Sprint flavor, and have activated it a couple times going on trips. Yes, they still have minute plans, and I usually have to argue with the counter guy to pay less than a full month worth of access.

Not many people actually answer their phone calls nowadays. The majority of comms I make that are actually productive are over SMS or instant messaging services. I can text or message someone, see when the message got sent, and see when or if the message was viewed in pretty close to real time. To charge up with free call minutes, I play videos on textfree a couple times a day while watching TV or waiting in line somewhere.

Last edited by jeff5may; 01-31-17 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: spelling and such
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote