View Single Post
Old 01-01-17, 12:35 PM   #82
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by b420ady View Post
-The house still lack the thermal isolation layer
I'm coming in on this thread very late, but your last statement, should be your first concern.

It is natural for anyone, when confronted with a project that involves making a house livable and comfortable, to think first in terms of creating the most efficient heat source. This strategy has worked since cave-man built a fire in his winter cave.

But we are not cave-men, and a system approach would begin with an analysis of heat loss and a full-on assault on preventing heat loss.

Heat loss through infiltration is the greatest heat loss mechanism. Start by fanatically finding and stopping all heat leaks. A thorough approach could take months. It could involve removing interior wall covering, plaster, etc. and assuring that your walls do not leak. I have done this on my house, and the results are very impressive.

Then comes insulation. You can be very creative with insulation. Remember that insulation is only effective if air flow through the insulation is completely stopped.

The level of "tech" required for insulation is low, and if you are very clever and resourceful, the cost can be lowered substantially.

The reason you should focus your attention and resources here, at this point in your project, is that your eventual heat producing source can be made vastly smaller. Ground source heat pump is the best way to go, you got that part right.

But if you are rigorous in hunting down and elimating and reducing heat loss, the GSHP system will be smaller, and way less expensive.

Regarding "Free Energy", I am an engineer and I have total respect for Isaac Newton. However, a few years ago, I yielded to requests from reasonable friends to look into Free Energy. I spent about two months, full time, researching Free Energy, and following all leads to their concluding ends.

In my opinion, the only free energy coming in from the free energy movement, is the free flow of money spent on books, film, seminars, etc. by gullible, hopeful people. There is no 'there' there.

But there are economic, inexpensive approaches to reducing the energy we use (squander) in our lives.

Happy New Year to you!

Good luck on your project.

Best,

-AC_Hacker
Geo NR Gee (01-01-17), jeff5may (01-01-17), randen (01-01-17)