View Single Post
Old 01-12-16, 02:27 PM   #20
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

Several things come to mind . Maybe more , after I post this . So , I may have to edit it or add more posts , if additional thoughts come to me .

Fuel storage - This is a big issue . Stocks of fuel need to be rotated , to avoid being stuck with old fuel . Propane / butane is probably less subject to this than the other fuels . Since they LP gas is essentially a closed system .

Water well / pump - check into a soft start starter or Variable Frequency Drive . They would have much less starting surge . You will need to research what is avalable . Your pump motor is likely single phase . I am much more familiar with three phase technology .

I am fairly familiar with generators used in Telco applications . Both permanent and portable generators . And manual or automatic transfer switches .

We have frequently rented trailer mounted portable generators to support equipment during power cuts .

Cat | Rental Generator Sets | Caterpillar

Usually 25 kw or 45kw . Those are very nice units . They are switchable from 208 - 240 - 480 VAC and from single phase to three phase . The company I work for bought a 45kw unit last year . These units are diesel & seem to run a LONG time on a tank of diesel .

You would want or need either a manual or automatic transfer switch . Automatic is nice . It detects the power loss on utility power , after a time delay , it signals the generator to start , when generator power is stable , the ATS reansfers to generator power .

When the utility power is restored , the ATS waits a set time , to prove utility power is stable . At that time , the ATS transfers back to utility power . Either the generator or the ATS has a cool down timer , The generator engine idles a preset time to all the engine to cool down gradually .

All this can take place day time / night time . Whether you are home or not .

Of course , with a manual transfer switch , you must be there to do the transferring .

God bless
Wyr
WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote